What is EYC?!!
The EYC (Episcopal Youth Community) at St. Mary’s is made up of sixth through twelfth graders. Guided by one of the parts of our baptismal covenant, we devote ourselves to the teaching of the Apostles and fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and the prayers (see also Acts 2:42).
- Sunday mornings during the Christian Formation hour after the 10am liturgy:
- Middle and High Schoolers meet in the Youth Room for coffee or hot chocolate before starting their various activities. On one Sunday each month, the EYC prepares a brunch that is served to the entire congregation following their Christian Formation classes. Other activities include Neighborhood Prayer Walks, local mission trips to Mary's Kitchen and Common Ground, and of course fun games & fellowship.
- Wednesday evenings as part of the Parish Family Nights:
- Middle and High Schoolers are welcome to meet in the Youth Room for Homework Hangout anytime between 3-5:25 pm. At 5:30, EYC time starts where we watch a video from the ASK video series on apologetics (see more about videos available through Right Now Media below) and then discuss the topic in our separate middle and high school groups. We close our time by coming back together and praying Compline. Finally, we join the rest of our church family for the Wednesday Night Supper in Moseley Hall at 6:15.
- Periodically for Youth Journey in Faith:
Youth Journey in Faith is a series of interactive sessions through which the basics of the Christian faith are explored. Youth Journey in Faith can also be a way for young people to move toward the Church’s sacraments of initiation (baptism, confirmation, reception) as well as a reaffirmation of faith when our Bishop visits St. Mary’s. Bishop Skirving's next Sunday visit to St. Mary's will be sometime in 2018.
This Year's Leaders Are:
- Lee Albritton, Audra Haddad, Holly Warren, and Tom Warren
The EYC regularly shares the love of Christ with our neighbors via LOCAL MISSION TRIPS to places like Mary’s Kitchen and Common Ground Community Garden & Orchard. We also take trips together to experience God in other places away from home. Here are some pictures from the pilgrimage to Washington, DC in February of 2017.
Mission Trip to Glory Ridge
St. Mary's will return to Glory Ridge from July 30 - August 5, 2017!
St. Mary’s returns to the Ridge for a fifth straight summer in 2017! "Make Work Worship!" is the slogan for this week filled with serving God through serving our neighbors in Madison County, NC and growing together as an intentional community of faith in Jesus Christ.
Forms required for the 2017 Mission Trip are available here:
St. Mary’s youth are also invited to participate in the many programs sponsored by the Diocese of East Carolina. At these youth events, young people are able to make friends and share in ministry with others from all across the region. Some highlights are these events held at Trinity Center, the Diocesan Conference & Retreat Center at the beach: Fall Conference (Middle School), New Beginnings (Middle School), and Happening (High School).
The 2016-2017 Diocesan Youth Events are:
- Fall Conference (Middle School). November 18-20 @ Trinity Center. Registration forms (found here) & payment are due to Fr. Tom no later than Sunday, October 30.
- Happening #69 (High School). March 3-5 @ Trinity Center. Registration forms are available on the Diocesan website here.
- New Beginnings #52 (Middle School). March 31 - April 2 @ Trinity Center. St. Mary's will need to provide a chaperone and submit all registration forms together in early March for this event, so your registration forms and payments are due to Fr. Tom by Sunday, February 26.
We care about your spiritual growth and want to provide you with free access to a great resource library of over 10,000 quality videos. You will discover video-based Bible studies and fantastic video content in all kinds of topics including Biblical studies, the life of faith as a teenager in today's world, and spiritual growth. Check it out here: